Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Actual Training

To think I have made it this far without an actual training plan, and or schedule. I have had my eyes opened for sure. Jen's performance in the Keys 100 will forever be burned into my memory. For one, I could not be more proud of such an accomplishment and two..I was there helping Jen for most of the training. Whether it was riding my Mtn bike next to her for 6 hours, or going with her for a track workout, I was there watching how much effort she was putting in. I now can appreciate all the hard work and sacrifice she made and so do applaud her. I however am not that disciplined and would like to also blame the fact that I am also busy. Hell, I started this blog and it's work keeping up with it, let alone all of the other "real" things I have to do. So time management is important, it is essential and I am going to need to get better at it or figure out a way to earn a living running and doing triathlons. So I guess I am needing better time management......

I actually have decided to start a more active training program and will be loosely following a rendition of what Jen did for the Keys 100 and Ironman. I will be needing to focus more on the running aspect of the two sports seeing that I have signed on for 1 24hr race, 1 Ironman distance, and 2 100 mile endurance runs. The Ironman and the 100's are back to back to back. Now my efforts are not just my sheer love of the sports, but my desire to also raise awareness for Getting 2 Tri foundation. G2t as we like to call it, creates grass-roots communities at the local level where individuals with a disability can integrate with running, swimming or cycling clubs, or triathlon clubs and certain civic organizations in support of our mission. They also offer sport camps that help physically challenged athletes with their given passion. Check out the site and donate if you can!

Here is a direct link:http://www.active.com/donate/getting2tri/teamvogel

Also if anyone would like to make a donation based on how many miles I can run at Hinson Lake 24hr we would be happy to accept a challenge! Now with all those expectations i had better get training right? Right! So my training began once I came home from the Keys 100 where I logged over thirty miles w/Jen in the heat. Good start right? After we arrived home I got in a few nice runs, nothing more than about two hours along with a few nice rides, some spinning, some track, and a couple workouts in the gym. Bring in sauna stretching, abs, jumping jacks and push-ups and we have a training schedule! Now, I just need to work everything else around this and we are good. Either way we now have a goal and the only way we can reach it is through hard training. I can't afford to go this deep without preparation, lets face it...Umstead 100 w/no training was a painful lesson. I learned my lesson, but still feel the repercussions.

2 comments:

David Ray said...

Hinson Lake looks like fun. Put me down for 50 cents a mile. Hopefully you'll get to 100. :)

Training is good.

Lane said...

Hey thanks David! We appreciate your support. I will see how far I make it at Hinson Lake 24hr and address the donation then.