Wednesday, December 17, 2008

It has begun


What? What has begun you say? Jennifer has started training again. She is a woman on a mission. A woman with a goal, and a woman I live with. Training with Jen is in its self an experience, or maybe it is not. See I do not train like Jen, Jen sticks firmly to her coaches plans and will not stray. Not at all. As I write this short take on what is going on Jen is out there running in the rain again. I joined her yesterday for a little 8 miler in the rain, but today skipped the run. We have a date tonight anyway, I will see her then. But as for her training she is an animal, she has a goal and will do whatever it takes to succeed. So again, she is off and running. Tomorrow will be another 8 miler and I will join her for that. Unfortunately I do not follow her training paces. I say that because I am sure I would get better if I did. Either way I kind of stick to my run as she pulls ahead for her repeats, time and time again she leaves me in the dust. I catch her on occasion, but I think that is only when she is resting.

I myself had the worst 8 mile run I can remember yesterday. I goofed on a few different levels. I met Arnaldo for lunch at "Caribbean Fiesta" and indulged in a jerk chicken sandwich and a few chicken wings. Whoaaaaaaaa, that is not the proper fuel my body said as I began to run last night. My body was revolting, the lunch, the heavy weight lifting the past three weeks were just not making the run yesterday and easier. I got through it though, one painful step at a time. In addition to that "feeling like a meat head" while running thing, my feet are still wrecked from Pinhoti and Ironman. More likely Pinhoti I believe, the jagged, leaf covered rocks did a number on the bottoms of my feet. The last remnants of broken blood vessels still remain on the bottoms! I guess this weeks runs will determine how well my dogs hold up for the month of January.

So yes, it has begun.... whether I want to participate or not. I will try for the most part to accompany Jen on her runs and enjoy anytime I get to spend with her even if she is a hundred yards ahead and pulling away. This is why we do what we do, why we sign up for these crazy races and why all our friends do as well. It comes down to enjoying the company of others with like interests and goals. So for every person tapering, or taking a bit of time off...your time will come, it to will soon begin.

No comments: