Thursday, December 11, 2008

Keys 100

The Keys 100 Ultramarathon, "A miserable run through paradise" or so it is called by Jared. Miserable is relative considering time passes, pain goes away and blisters heal. All things considered, this was a very good race. So good in fact that in my humble opinion I have to say the folks putting this race together and the participants enjoying the race are by far some of the greatest people I have had the pleasure meeting and becoming friends with. So then why am I not doing the race in 09'? Simple, my lovely wife Jennifer Vogel is much better in heat, on asphalt than I could ever desire to be. She is the champion road runner in our family and I will not dispute those facts. I will however be at the Keys 100 with whip in hand, laying down some serious support for my favorite gal. In addition to myself we will have some very, very capable crew this year. Running extraordinaire Jon Obst (2:48 Marry, with no speed work training). Also Scott "Sexy Time" D'Angelo Mr.Ironman @ 11:12,who gave medical aid in Keys 100 08' (thanks for the duct tape). Our last contestant will be the ever versatile James Belyeu water bottle filler pro. Why am i so excited about a race that I am not doing? Jen, she is the reason. Jennifer and I met a wonderful lady out on the course in 08' and she has been inspiring Jennifer and I ever since. Lisa-Smith Batchen please stand up and take a bow! Lisa-Smith is now Jennifers coach, she coached Jennifer to a PR in Ironman this year, a smoking 11:16 on a road bike, and a seconds wetsuit! That is a 3hr19min improvement over last years Great Floridian! So one can see my optimism in looking toward Jens return to the Keys 100.

This next race will be dubbed "A miserably fast run through paradise" I will just be trying to keep up with Jen which I have to say is something I am pretty used to.

No comments: